sábado, 4 de mayo de 2019

Bite-sized New New-Stoicism, ep. 2

You might be thinking, "Yeah, but what if I really want to eat the whole pint of ice cream? My ego and my super-ego can go and take a flyin' fuck at a rollin' donut, for all I care!!!"

That's your prerogative, of course, my tubby friend. True: You can't avoid your body's cravings and reactions. But there is a danger in over-indulgence. First, let me take a little detour and tell you something interesting.

In the past few decades, the Neurolinguistics peeps have had some interesting discoveries while they were trying to figure out how come our brain can give us language. They really got a lot more than they've bargained for, because they realized that, in order to figure out language, they had to figure out how we acquire knowledge. And, in order to do that, they had to figure out how our bodies perceive the world.

Let's just say that things got real complicated, real fast.

And it's not as if I understand everything they've discovered so far. I don't even know most of it. But, from what I can gather, it's been discovered that we, as humans, are mostly just this pile of hot and sweaty flesh, quivering with multiple automatic reactions ruled by our genes, in a world full of inputs and sensations. And it seems that our "mind," the conscious process which we believe is who and what we are as humans, is just an event after the fact.

In short, we humans are mostly body, and there's just a smattering of brains behind everything we do. We are like a Texas-sized toast with a smear of butter on top, where our bodies are the toast, and our minds are the butter.

Like I said, you can't avoid your body's cravings and reactions...

But you must try like hell, if you want to consider yourself a decent human.

See y'all next time!

No hay comentarios.:

Entradas populares